15 March 2012

A Faery Altar...

 My Faery and Nature Altar has been a work in progress for quite some time, it changes as I do and items are lovingly switched out depending upon the season or just what I feel is needed at that time. As many of you know, The Hill of Tara is my favorite place upon this Earth and it is where I go spiritually when I am in meditations or pathworking with the Fae. I have really been working to try and recreate the feel of being before the Fairy Hawthorn tree and so far I am pleased with the way it is turning out. It still has some work to be done, more hanging offerings of feathers and more bells and ribbons need to be added to the branches but it is getting there. This altar, like me, is always a work in progress and my intention is that it grows as I grow...with the blessings of Faery.

 The Raven feather was found, or should I say, gifted to me on our last trip to Ireland at the Hill of Tara. I cherish it as I had asked to find one as a birthday present from them and they granted my wish. I hand carved the altar tray out of clay and then painted it with several techniques and layers of paint.
 Close up of some of the decorations upon the branches. A hand painted skeleton leaf with lichen, acorn cap, beads and a bell. The bells are dual purpose as while pathworking, they serve to bring forth the Faeries presence while also acting as a ward against anything less then light. The next part I will be working on will be to carve in some words/chants using the Ogham Script or alphabet upon the branches.
The branches are Birch which for me was very fitting as the Birch is a Tree of November and Scorpio and honors the start of the Celtic New Year. Birch symbolizes new beginnings, purification, renewal, the seed within the Earth promising new growth upon Spring.  It brings forth the elements of purity and innocence coupled with that of the wisdom of the ancients. It has a long and deep association with the Faery and Spirit Realms.


Faoi Solas na SiĆ³g,
Joanna

10 comments:

  1. What a lovely altar. It makes me think of Midsummer Eve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! I am so glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. *sigh* it looks so beautiful and magical. You've created a wonderful fairy alter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your altar is beautiful!! It radiates with light. I like the fact you have your own personal item that you handcrafted. I'm sure the faeries love this altar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful Altar, you can feel the energies oozing from the photo.

    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much dear Rachel! Have a beautiful Spring Equinox!

      Delete
  5. Joanna, I find your blog so inspiring. I always like to view your pictures and writtings and come here to lift my spirits. Your new Altar is absolutely beautiful, I can feel the energy come through! I have many of your creations throughout my home and they always bring that moment of serenity to my life. I love your blog and your art! In light, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much dear Dottie, your words made my day and I cherish you and your friendship! Have a beautiful day,
    In Faery Light,
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting the Hedge and leaving your lovely comment...